Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Meat Guilt?

An interesting question came up the other day: Should we, and do we, feel guilty for eating meat? Well, for me - absolutely not. The only time I ever feel guilty for eating meat is when I don't finish all of it on my plate! I was raised on a farm. I've always known that the calf in the feed yard or the fat hog in the pen was going on my plate!

Another thought of why I'm not guilt-ridden is that humans have been eating meat for 1.5 million years (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/10/121004093508.htm). Humans were historically hunters and gatherers. In order to live they had to hunt for their food. They had to follow the animals that provided their food, clothing, and shelter.  As cultivation technology evolved they were able to stay in one area and grow their own food. Thus came this super fantastic career that is now known as farming!  Agriculture has evolved to today: where it takes very small amount of people on a very small amount of land to feed the world. We are lucky to have our food brought to us in a store. It is safe and put into a pretty package. Instead of spending our day hunting our food, we can now wonder whether or not we should feel guilty about eating our steak! 

Instead of feeling guilty, here are 8 things to keep in mind for guilt free meat eating:
 




This post was part of a series hosted by Katie of On the Banks of Squaw Creek.  If you’re interested in reading more about guilt-free meat eating, check out:

1. We've been eating meat for 1.5 million years.


2. Eating meat made us smarter


3. We were born to eat meat.


4. Meat provides us with nutrients we can't easily get elsewhere


5. Farms are lowering their carbon footprint.


6. 96% of farms are family farms


7. Farm animals are not the same as pets.


8. Bacon, steak and Thanksgiving



Are you hungry for some meat yet? I know I am! :)




2 comments:

  1. Great post Kellie. I too only feel guilty about eating meat when I don't finish my plate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! The only satisfaction I get from not eating the leftover meat is that my puppies get a snack! :)

      Delete